Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have begun offering Unit 1 for my church’s Lenten series, and once Lent is over, we will be moving on to Unit 2 — for Easter, I guess.  The model that I’m using is different from the suggested model.  The reality is that in my community, people will not commit 2 to 3 hours of time to this, and I have learned that I just need to accept that reality.  So, I am offering two periods of each session on Wednesdays in Lent, one in the morning (without a meal) and one in the evening (with a meal).  We have about 15 people in the morning session and about 20 people for the evening session.  We don’t begin in the evening until after the meal, and some people don’t arrive until after the meal.  This means that we have really 90 minutes for each session.  After a brief intro, we show the video, and then whatever time is left (should normally be 40 to 45 minutes) we have discussion.  While we are only two weeks in, I have to say that this model seems to be working well.

A couple comments about the material.  First, the sound level of the videos is a bit of an issue.  I have managed to improve the amplification, but there are moments when James’s voice is so quiet, it’s hard to hear what he’s saying.  People are, so far, very interested in what has been presented, and its leading to good discussion.  Second comment is about session 2 of Unit 1.  Participants pointed out that all the examples with respect to desire involve a desire for material things.  Questions arose about types of desire that do not involve material desires — like the desire to be loved, or the desire to spend time in nature, etc.  It was less clear to participants how these desires result from the mimetic process — so perhaps a little more about non-material patterns of desire would be helpful.

It’s been great to finally be able to offer it, and we’re off to a good start.  Thanks!

Anonymous
      Inactive

By the way, my name is Matthew Dutton-Gillett — not Alecia McDowell.  Her name got put on the account because it was her name associated with the payment for the registration!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m shifting the model as well, for members of my community in Philadelphia. We have a group of 13, meeting in peoples’ homes on Sunday nights for 2 hours. We decided to base the course on the essays, rather than the videos. I could get people to commit to meeting together for 12 weeks, reading an essay a week (or watching the videos on their own)  prior to getting together. We will have dinner together and then discuss the essay of the week. I am also planning to show a brief video clip before the discussion to stir people’s memory. I am curious if anyone else is using the essays instead of videos as the primary guide for the course? And if the issue of the essays and videos aligning has been resolved so that I can tell participants which videos to watch each week, if they want to watch the videos instead of reading the essays? thanks everyone!

Suzanne Ross
      Keymaster

Thanks Matthew and Melissa — these are great variations on the format. It’s great the way you are making use of the videos and essays to meet the needs of your groups. I appreciate getting your feedback very much!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.