Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Any thoughts from other facilitators about the best ways to go about advertising this to attract enough people for an initial group?  Calling it an intro course on Christian faith sounds pretty dry and doesn’t do justice to the materials.  Maybe something along the lines of a Journey into Christian faith in community.  Will include weekly conversations around a text, video, and a meal.

Any other thoughts?

Two participants from Mt. Angel offered these invitations:

From Laura Truby:

Meeting in homes over a meal is as ancient as current to our human experience of connecting as community and entering into real conversation.  There is no more profound way to experience Jesus or opening ourselves to life-giving growth!

James Alison is helping distill the Christian project of vulnerability in an adult course presented in video format.  If Jesus is the Forgiving Victim, what does that mean for our own lives and way of being human together?  What would it look like to catch Christ’s desire?  Would it change how we do church?

Curious to learn more?  Stop by the church office and drop your name in the box for the upcoming drawing to see if you will have a chance to be part of the first group of 8-12 participants! 

From Christie Stewart Stein:

I was first drawn to the works of James Alison because I was already being drawn into an exploration of what it means to love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you. The Forgiving Victim course offers the deepest exploration I have encountered into the ways we humans naturally create enemies and how Jesus invites us to change our steps in the dance.

Suzanne Ross
      Keymaster

Here’s what I’m going to use to promote the course at my church. We’ll use it in bulletins and email communications in January. I plan to start teaching the first week of February.

A Groundbreaking New Course Coming to FCCW

The Forgiving Victim: An adult Christian education course for small groups

Christianity is changing, which is nothing new. Each generation since the first disciples has had to work through what it means to be a follower of Christ in their time and place. The Forgiving Victim, a video course with James Alison, offers an opportunity for Christians to re-imagine what the journey called church will look like over the next generation. In our small groups, with shared meals and conversation, we will work through a central teaching of the early church, that being a Christian is not about “what should I be doing” but about what someone has already done for me before I even knew to ask for it. How can you learn more?

Sunday, January 27: The sermon with a sermon talk back will explore a major theme of the Forgiving Victim course – how Jesus taught us to read Scriptures.

Monday, January 28, 7:00pm to 9:00pm at church: Join Suzanne Ross for an introduction to the course. At this meeting, you will sign up and learn when and where your small group will meet.

Anytime: Visit the course website at http://www.www.forgivingvictim.com to view sample videos from the course and learn more about the curriculum.

For questions or comments, or to sign up right now to participate in a small group, please contact Suzanne Ross at [email protected] or 224-521-2472.

Forgiving Victim
      Participant

Houston Participants,

This message from Marty Troyer, The Peace Pastor, who blogs for the Houston Chronicle, was posted on the Raven Foundation site. His contact information is included, so if you connect with him, please let us know.

“So excited to see this curriculum. I noticed in your post that a cohort gathering is happening in Houston. I write for the Houston Chronicle as The Peace Pastor and would love to find ways to get connected with those in Houston who are part of that gathering. Any way I can find out who in Houston is already engaged in this project?”

E-mail : [email protected]

URL    : http://blog.chron.com/thepeacepastor/

Whois  : http://whois.arin.net/rest/ip/69.150.35.188

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is the ad that we used, if anyone is interested in some more ideas:

Explore Christian Faith during Lent with…

The Forgiving Victim: An adult Christian education course for small groups
      Christianity is changing, which is nothing new. Each generation since the first disciples has had to work through what it means to be a follower of Christ in their time and place. The Forgiving Victim, a video course with Catholic theologian, priest, and writer, James Alison, offers an opportunity for Christians to re-imagine what the journey called church will look like over the next generation. In a small group, with shared meals and conversation, we will ask our honest, and even troubling, questions about the essence of Christian faith, Scripture, and how it is that someone might come to believe in the crucified and risen victim, Jesus.

Our meetings will take place on five Mondays from 5:15-7:30pm in St. Rita’s Hall.  Each session will include a short reading, a short video presentation by James, dinner, and lively conversation.  The sessions will be hosted by John Edwards, Ph.D. candidate and retreat coordinator, and Linda Jaczynski, Director of the Center for Spirituality and Discernment.  The dates for the course will be Feb. 11th, 18th, and 25th, and March 11th and 18th.

Check out some of the course materials, read about the author, and hear others’ experiences of taking the course at https://www.forgivingvictim.com.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.