Rich Paxson
Participant

Would you be persuaded to eat Cicada Tacos if I told you that experts say that they are rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, low in fat, and have zero carbs? If not, why not?

I don’t know if I could eat cicada tacos, regardless of whose hands prepared them. I wonder if a food comparison is an apt analogy for Peter’s profound change of heart following his unclean-food dream. James describes Peter’s breakthrough on page 317 of ‘Forgiving Victim’ as “… the day when the Hebrew religion went universal, and what we now know as Catholicism, Universal Judaism, was birthed into reality.”

“The day when the Hebrew religion went universal” happened because Peter responded to God’s call. How is God calling me in holy scripture to answer to God’s presence? Thomas Cranmer gives good advice in his collect, which we read each year on the Sunday closest to March 21st, the date Thomas Cranmer was burned at the stake in 1556.

“Blessed Lord, who caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning: Grant us so to hear them, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them, that we may embrace and ever hold fast the blessed hope of everlasting life, which you have given us in our Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.”